Redirecting... please be patient

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

So I've Been Thinking Of Starting A Business... Part 5 - "How Do You Do It All?"

Oh the big question!
"Shey.  How do you do it all?!?!"
I can't tell you how many times you all have asked me this.
Want to know the answer?  Let's keep it real!  All of these photos will prove that I am keepin' in real!  ;)

I don't.  I can't!  *gasp*  Yep!  I just admitted it!  I can not do everything.  Not even close.

When I first started my business, I really had no idea what to expect.  I thought it would be a fun way to support my fabric addiction (which has gotten worse over the months. but I don't care. I love fabric!).  I also thought it would be great to offer anyone who takes photos a little extra comfort while doing so.
Fast forward from then (August 2008) to now, March 2010.  Wow!  Just wow is all that I can say.  My business has far exceeded my original goal!  How wonderful.  A true blessing.

IMG_0007 blog

Now.  Back to that question.  And my answers.

IMG_0003 blog

There is positively no way I could ever clean my house, take care of my kids all throughout the day, spend time with my husband, read, make dinner, lunch, breakfast, care for the dog & cat, do the laundry, shower, sew, take time for myself, etc etc so on and so forth all by my lonesome.  No way NO HOW!

IMG_0001 blog

How does it all get done?  The answer is simple.  I ask for help.  Isn't that all we have to do really?  Just ask?  Well, it should be.  If help was never asked for by me, then my house would look like these pictures I took a couple weeks ago 24 hours a day 7 days a week!  In fact, it would look worse.  Because I really have no time to clean the house lately.  What did I do to rectify this huge problemo?  Well, I made the decision to hire a housekeeper.  She comes once a week and cleans my house all sparkly clean.  And I will spot clean here and there throughout the week.

IMG_0027 blog

Now.  I KNOW not everyone can get a housekeeper.  So why not challenge yourself to stop what you're doing and clean an hour every day?  Make yourself a chart that assigns yourself and other family members a duty.  Even though I have a housekeeper, I have to clean up stuff in between times she comes.  My entire family contributes.  My oldest girl does the dishes and cleans up her and sissy's room. Zoe is assign small things, and I keep a close eye on her to keep her on track.  She is only 3, so of course she isn't able to do much, but she loves to help if she can.  My sweet lovely amazing hard working husband does ALL of the laundry.  ALL of it.  I know.  He is simply swoon worthy.  :)

IMG_0036 blog
(Celeste! Look at all those Coke Zero cans! haha)

As far as dinner goes.  I go as easy as I can.  My husband works late a lot, so I have to think about things I can make quickly for my children and myself.  I do not do gourmet often.  So many times it's spaghetti, soup, grilled cheese, breakfast for dinner, etc.  Sometimes, like tonight, it's McDonald's.  But I try not to do greasy fast food too much.  I like dinners made easy and fast.  No matter what it is.

IMG_0035 blog

I also realized something as a busy business owner.  I CAN NOT DO IT ALL there either!  2 assistants later and I think it will be much easier for me.  I will be able to have more time off!  I need some nights off, my friends.  And hiring people to help me will enable this.  Hallelujah!  I might be able to read again!  :)  My assistants come 2-3 days a week, work 2-4 hours every time and everyone is happy.  Realizing you can't do it all in your business is a big step.  But a bigger step is getting help so you can achieve what you need to faster.  Take time off for yourself and your family... you'll be amazed how much more enjoyable creating can be!

IMG_0004 blog

Don't choose the stressful, prideful road like I have done.  That just ends in breakdowns, crying and the grumps.  I am not superwoman or supermom or super anything. I am just me, and I can only do so much.

IMG_0023 blog

So, my friends.  I am keeping it real.  I, Shealynn Benner aka SheyB aka The Camera Strap Girl, fully admit to you that I can not do it all.  Nor do I try.

IMG_0008 blog

So go ask for help now!  You deserve it!


P.S.  Scroll down for the current giveaways!!!  You're going to LOVE them!!!

P.P.S.  The winner of the Burlap Camera Strap Slipcover is ERIN!!!  Congrats!  Email me your address.  shealynn AT gmail dot com

P.P.P.S.  The winner of the Two Little Tots Giveaway is NATALIE!!!  Congrats!  Email me your address!  Visit Two Little Tots today to get your little ones something fantastic!

P.P.P.P.S  The Couture Camera Strap Slipcover has been SOLD!!  Another Couture coming soon!


8 comments:

Kristopher K said...

yeah for getting help - loved your "keeping it real" post :) from your twitter friend Kris :)

Celeste said...

I am so, so, so happy that you now have 2 helpers!! What a blessing!

and, maybe you will rub-off on me... I am still at the 'stage' where I really hesitate to ask for help. LOL!

P.S. the Couture sold pretty quickly, I'd say! Awesome!! (can't wait to see the next one!) ;)

Ann On and On... said...

It's nice to hear someone ask for help. Thanks for keeping it real! :D

Jenna said...

seriously, thank you for posting your undone house. you are doing an amazing job and i hear and see your straps ev.ry.where. i love your honesty and for not being ashamed to ask for help. it IS overwhelming trying to do it all, and seeing other business women/moms online who do it all, and do it well. at least online they do it well. ;) so thanks for letting me off the hook! ;)

Sonya said...

I love this post! Thank you for sharing!

Celeste said...

wanted to come back and acknowledge the Coke Zero cans!! LOL!!! (it's our fuel, right?) :p

KarieK said...

Oh I could not agree more that asking for help is the most humble and powerful thing to do. We do try to be superwoman because we do juggle and accomplish so much, but every now and again a super hero needs to be rescued. I am so excited to meet you in person Shey! Bloggy Boot Camp here we come!

Marie said...

Love it! Those are some pretty pictures of a messy house that looks like it's filled with so much love!