Redirecting... please be patient

Monday, November 2, 2009

Book Review - The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove

The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove
By: Lauren Kate

review

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Paperback: 248 pages
  • Publisher: Razorbill
  • Release Date: November 12, 2009
  • Language: English
 _________________________________________________________________________

Natalie Hargrove is a senior at Palmetto High.  She is popular, and dating a very nice looking and popular Mike King.  They are the perfect couple... or so you might think.

Natalie's one biggest care in the world is becoming the Palmetto Princess, and her boyfriend, Mike becoming Palmetto Prince.  Being the Palmetto Princess/Prince gives you a heads up in life. It gives you high status, and a guaranteed successful life.  Who wouldn't want to be Palmetto's Princess/Prince, right?

Natalie soon finds out she and Mike have competition.  This competition's name is Justin Balmer.  And, it just so happens that Justin and Natalie have a history... but it's not a good history.  Natalie has kept this history with Justin a secret.  In fact, a lot of Natalie's past is a secret, and she doesn't want that secret to get out.

At an annual party, Natalie and Mike decide to play a prank on Justin.  A prank that can not be taken back.  A prank that changes the lives of many, and throws Natalie and Mike into a huge downward spiral they can't get out of.  What was supposed to be a prank turns out so wrong.  Pranks are just a joke right?  Right?


review


_______________________________________________________________________________


My Thoughts:

I was unsure about this book when I first got it, but of course didn't let me unsureness get in the way!  The back summary intrigued me a lot.  And I am so glad I sat down with this book.  It was a good one.

Stuck up, superficial, materialistic.  Those were my first thoughts about the main characters, Natalie and Mike.  While those things were definitely true, I soon learned that there was so much more to them than that.  Natalie has a "forbidden" past.  If her peers and elders found out where she came from, she would be shunned.  Or worse.  When I began getting to know Natalie's character, I really couldn't blame her for putting on a show.  Because while she was a snob, she was also very insecure.

Mike came off less stuck up, superficial and materialistic, but you still get a hint of it upon first impression.  But quickly, you will learn that there is more to Mike than that.  Mike is genuine, caring, thoughtful, and a darn good boyfriend to Natalie.  Maybe he was a little "too" good to her.  But, I felt that maybe he should have thought about himself a little more. 

This book took me on a snobby roller coaster ride through Natalie's and Mike's life, especially after the prank they pull.  The deceit was incredible in this book, and I found myself yelling at Natalie in my head.  I kept wishing she would have come clean.  But she doesn't, which then leads to a very shocking ending.

I give The Betrayal of Natalie Hargrove 3 out of 5 stars.




3 comments:

Polka Dot Moon said...

Okay.....now you've just given me another book to put on my LONG list of reads!!

Sara said...

Hmmm... I keep hearing this book compared to other books. It is interesting how different it is compared to FALLEN.

chefamily said...

This is one I would not have ever picked up on my own because of the cover. After reading your review, it does sound like an entertaining read.
I am uber cover snob! I wish they would stop having all these teen models looking all dark and dreary on the covers!